TJX Europe Privacy Statement and Cookies Policy
Effective Date: August 2020
The TJX Companies, Inc. and its affiliates (collectively, "TJX", "we", "us" or "our") operate our stores, websites, and mobile apps. This Privacy Statement pertains to the personal information we collect or generate about our customers in our stores, on our websites, or via mobile apps. This Privacy Statement describes the types of information collected, and how your information is used, shared and protected. It also explains the choices you have relating to your information and how you can contact us.
The TJX entity responsible for processing your information (the "data controller") will depend on where you are located. Refer to Appendix A for information about the data controllers. Please note that T.K. Maxx and HomeSense are trading names of the data controllers.
The categories of information about you that we may collect, use, disclose and otherwise handle may vary by country and applicable law. Typically, we will collect, store and process information about you if you use our websites to view or buy products, e-vouchers or gift cards, or if you voluntarily provide us with such information, for example when you subscribe to our mailing list, enroll in our loyalty programme, enter a promotion or competition, contribute content about yourself to our websites, whether by direct upload, posting such content to one of our social media pages or by using a hashtag or other identifier that we use to integrate social media content with our websites, or if you apply for a job or take part in inquiries or surveys. This information will be processed by electronic means and includes:
- contact details including name, e-mail, telephone number and address;
- login and account information, including screen name, password and unique user ID;
- personal details including gender and date of birth;
- payment or credit card information;
- personal preferences including your marketing and cookie preference;
- content you may provide via a form on our websites;
- your image and any personal information that you include in content that you contribute to our websites (such as comments, photos and videos) as well as the name of the social media account from which you contribute that information; and
- other personal information you provide to us on our websites, via mobile apps, on feedback forms, in our stores or when you interact with us in other ways, both online and offline.
Our website collects certain information by automated means when you visit us. You can learn more about this activity by visiting our TJX Europe Cookies Policy below.
Subject to applicable law, we may collect, use, disclose or otherwise handle your information in pursuit of our legitimate business interests while maintaining appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect the information. These interests include to:
- enable the use of and make improvements to our websites;
- send direct marketing materials to you if you have agreed for us to do so;
- operate, evaluate and improve our business and websites;
- manage customer, supplier and vendor relationships;
- enroll you in and administer our loyalty and other rewards programs upon your request;
- improve merchandise selections and customer service;
- identify your product and service preferences;
- notify you about new products, services, features, promotions, events and special offerings relating to TJX that we think you will find valuable; and
- administer your participation in promotions, contests and sweepstakes.
Where we have a contract with you, we process your personal information as necessary for performance of the contract. This includes to:
- process business transactions and related activities; and
- supply our goods and services.
We also may use the personal information we collect to protect us against and prevent fraud, claims, and other liabilities and to comply with or enforce applicable legal and regulatory requirements, industry standards, and our policies and terms. We use personal information for these purposes when it is necessary to protect, exercise or defend our legal rights, or when we are required to do so by a law that applies to us. This includes to:
- verify your identity in certain instances (such as when you return merchandise or request a refund);
- meet any legal and regulatory requirements; and
- secure our operations and protect against, identify and help prevent fraud, unauthorized activity, claims and other liabilities and minimize risk.
If we plan to use the personal information that you provide to us for other purposes beyond those described above, we will provide you with information about that processing at the time of collection.
We do not sell, otherwise disclose, or share information we collect and hold about you, except as described in this Privacy Statement.
We share personal information with third parties who perform services on our behalf. We use third parties to host our websites or mobile apps, operate certain of its features, send e-mails, print or send mailings, run our sweepstakes, contests or other promotions, conduct customer research, authorize and process your payments, manage and analyze data and our advertising effectiveness, provide customer support, manage customer claims, prevent fraud, protect our assets and data, and fulfill orders. These third parties are not authorised by us to use or disclose the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or comply with legal requirements. Any personal information shared with such third parties is protected as described below.
Subject to applicable law, we may also share the personal information we obtain with our affiliates, subsidiaries and other group companies for the purposes described in the prior paragraph. If we share your personal information with such entities, we will ensure that an adequate level of protection is in place to protect your personal information in accordance with applicable law.
We also may disclose information about you: (i) if we are required to do so by law, regulation or legal process (such as a court order or subpoena) including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements; (ii) in response to requests by government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities; (iii) for the purpose of or in connection with legal proceedings, or otherwise for the purpose of establishing, exercising or defending our legal rights; or (iv) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity.
We reserve the right to transfer any information we have about you in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a reorganisation, dissolution or liquidation), but only where we have first taken reasonable steps to ensure the security and confidentiality of your information.
We maintain appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect personal information against accidental or unlawful destruction or accidental loss, alteration, unauthorised disclosure or access. However, we cannot guarantee the effectiveness of these safeguards, and nothing in this notice shall be construed as an express or implied warranty against loss, misuse or unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction.
Service providers who might have access to your information in order to provide services on our behalf will be contractually obliged to keep such information in confidence, implement adequate data security measures, and may not use that data for any other purpose.