Environment

Reducing waste and water

Our long-term ambition is to be zero waste - and we're almost there.

  • At our UK Head Office and Processing Centres, no waste goes to landfill
  • In our stores over 94% of our waste is recycled, and we're exploring ways to manage the remaining 6%.
  • We have recycled over 1 million bags of clothing through our Give Up Clothes for Good campaign, the UK biggest clothing collection campaign. We encourage customers to bring in their unwanted quality clothes to store for our charity partner Cancer Research UK. It's good for the environment and it raises funds too - over 27 million since 2004.
  • We're conscious of the way we use our water and have implemented a water monitoring programme to manage its use.

Electrical and Electronic Products

We take our role as a responsible retailer seriously and we are supporting the WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) Directive and doing our bit to help care for the environment.

All electrical and electronic products that we sell carry the crossed out wheelie bin symbol as a reminder that the product can be recycled at the end of its life.

It is better for the environment if we can recycle these products and reduce the amount of waste that ends up in landfill sites.

How can I recycle my old products?

If you buy an item of electrical or electronic equipment from us in store or online you can take a similar product back to our stores within 28 days for recycling. (Please bring along proof of your online purchase.)

If you have not bought anything similar from us, you can always take WEEE to your nearest local civic amenity site that offers recycling facilities.

Batteries

Recycling boxes are provided in all of our stores for the collection, treatment and recycling of portable batteries such as Lithium-ion or button cell batteries, AA, AAA, B and C type etc.

You are welcome to leave your used batteries in these boxes for recycling at any time.